Guidelines for Choosing a Coach
It is important to interview several prospective coaches before you make a choice. You want to be sure you find a coach who is well qualified and who is a good match for you. Interviewing several coaches will increase your chance of finding a good match. Conducting a thorough informational interview will assure you that your coach is well qualified and able to coach you in the areas that you have identified are important.
Following are Some Questions to Ask Potential Coaches :
- What made you decide to become a coach?
- What are your qualifications in terms of education, training and experience?
- What are your specialty areas? *
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a coach?
- Do you coach in person, by telephone, e-mail and/or video-conferencing?
- What ages do you coach?
- What percentage of your clients have AD/HD?
- How many years have you been coaching? Do you coach full-time or part-time?
- I have identified the following (XYZ) as some of my coaching needs. What kind of experience do you have in these areas?
- How long is typical session? Do you do daily check-ins?
- What are your fees? Do you charge by the hour or by the month? Is payment due in advance, upon receipt of services or do you invoice? Can I pay by cash, check, paypal or credit card?
- What is your policy on missed appointments or lateness?
- Is there a contract to sign and if so, what is included in that contract?
- Can you provide me with client and professional references?
- When would you be available to start working with me?
* Keep in mind that coaches often specialize in certain areas. Some may specialize in time management and organization and others may specialize in health and wellness goals. Some coaches will also work with specific client populations. For example some may work only with executives, or entrepreneurs, or women or adolescents. Making sure that your coach's experience meets your needs is an important step in the process of choosing a coach.
Click Here to Find Out How to Prepare for Your Initial Coaching Session